After working at this independent senior adult community for a few months, I have discovered some things and decided to make myself a list so that I don’t forget.
When I get very old:
1. I shall wear my phone around my neck on a lanyard.
2. I shall not brush my hair unless I feel like being fashionable
3. I shall proudly wear my glasses with a great big fingerprint on the lens
4. I shall arrive 2 hours early for all scheduled events
5. If food is served at an event I shall arrive 3 hours early
6. I shall call my list of loved ones each day and tell them “I love you”
7. I shall not drive over 20 MPH unless I’m approaching a stop sign. Then it’s pedal to the metal and a screeching, smoking stop
8. I shall buy a harness for my cat and walk her down the street
9. I shall wear bright red lipstick
10. I shall call everyone I meet sweetheart, darling, or sugar.
11. I shall go to the bank and chat with my young friends
12. I shall take long long afternoon naps
13. I shall show up unannounced on friends and relatives doorsteps
14. I shall look forward to doctor’s appointments as social events
15. I shall visit the burial spots of those I love and sit and think about the memories we made.
16. I shall be happy and not complain
17. I shall have very long conversation with children I meet
18. I shall not listen to others complain
19. I shall not care who knows my age
20. I shall only wear comfortable shoes
21. I shall buy lottery tickets and throw coins into wishing wells
22. I shall read and learn new things
23. I shall teach those who want to know the things that I have learned
24. I shall laugh at myself and the mistakes that I make
25. I shall stand at the end of the path and look back with fondness on the memories I’ve made.