1. Its okay to make a fool of yourself. Sometimes its even fun.
2. Everyone is not going to share your opinion and that’s okay.
3. Having at least a few people in your life that will tell you when you are wrong is invaluable.
4. Practice what you preach. Actions really do speak louder than words.
5. Acquaintances that judge me on what I drive, how I dress, or where I live are just that acquaintances. True friends don’t do this.
6. It really does help to count to 10 before speaking when you are angry.
7. Only buy on credit when you absolutely 100% have to. Never, ever charge things that can wait. Doug taught me this lesson and its by far the hardest I have ever learned. But learned it I did!
8. Collecting can lead to hoarding if you aren’t careful.
9. Short hair looks good on me and is easy to maintain.
10. No one I know ever wins the lottery.
11. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Laugh at yourself.
12. Complain only when it really matters. No one likes a Negative Nellie.
13. Wealth has nothing to do with your bank account.
14. A smile goes a long way – whether its answering the phone or making a return to the store.
15. Don’t look for trouble. Its way too easy to find.
16. Zip your lip and listen. It shows you care.
17. Sometimes when I’m singing in the shower or in the car I think I missed my calling.
18. You can’t please everybody.
19. Take a stand and be vocal about what you believe in.
20. When I’m worried about something, I just think what would be the worst thing to happen. Suddenly the problem doesn’t seem so bad.
21. Keep a journal, write down your thoughts.
22. Send notes, yes with a stamp and through the mail. People appreciate it.
23. If I had known it was so important I would have started taking better care of myelf years ago.
24. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.
25. People deserve a second chance, but very rarely and most definitely never a third.
26. If you don’t try, you’ll never know.
27. You don’t need a lot of friends, just a few true ones.
28. People will take advantage of you only if you allow them.
29. It doesn’t matter what people “think” about you.
30. Learning to forgive people who hurt you is hard, but makes your own life better.
31. Sometimes its best to take the stairs.
32. Its never to late to learn something new.
33. Sometimes loving someone means letting them go.
34. Say I love you today. Tomorrow you may not get the chance.
35. “This too shall pass.”
36. Be nice to yourself. Cut yourself a break.
37. If you can’t control it, why waste time worrying about it.
38. Listen to your elders, really. You won’t have access to their wisdom forever.
39. Be careful who you trust your secrets with.
40. Its okay to stay in your pajamas all day on occasion.
41. True love changes over time and becomes somehow better.
42. Nothing lowers your blood pressure like a laughing baby.
43. Yelling never, ever helps the situation.
44. Revenge is for the petty and the irresponsible.
45. Being organzied makes life a little easier.
46. We are all hypocrites.
47. One cruel statement can hurt a person for life.
48. The secret ingredient is generally butter or heavy cream, and usually in obscene amounts.
49. Sometimes you have to remove certain people from your life, even if they’re family.
50. Enjoy life and cherish it. Remember the good times, the bad times, and worse times, because each one has made you a better person and has made you grow.
I tried not to make this list too silly or too serious. But as time passes and I grow older it is a little easier to see and understand what truly is important in life. Sometimes we take ourselves just a little to seriously. Sometimes we allow people to walk all over us. But the most important lesson I’ve learned in my life is how valuable each and every person I come into contact is. Whether they are a postive influence or a negative, I’ve learned a little something from everyone.